Religious and Other Special Immigrant Visas EB-4
Religious/Special Immigrant Visa

Religious worker: A member for at least two years of a denomination that has a non-profit religious organization in the United States. Visa-eligible work requires two years in the job and includes:

  • minister or priest of the religious denomination;
  • professional in the religious organization (U.S. baccalaureate degree or foreign equivalent is required for the job); or
  • religious vocation or occupation in the organization or a nonprofit affiliate. Religious vocation requires a calling or devotion to religious life. Taking vows is one example. Religious occupation is an activity devoted to traditional religious functions. Examples include cantors, missionaries, and instructors.

Requires a letter from an official of the religious organization in the United States:

  • for ministers, establishing membership in the denomination and its duration, authorizations to perform religious duties and practical aspects of carrying on the work, including payment sources;
  • with regard to professionals, the required academic degree along with official academic record; and requisite experience.
  • including, as appropriate, proof of a religious vocation or occupation, such as evidence that a beneficiary who intends to work as a nun or a monk is actually a nun or monk;
  • for non-minister or non-professional employees of a religious organization, an explanation of the affiliation between the religious organization and the denomination;
  • payment sources for professionals and other non-ministers;
  • affirming that supplementary income from a second job or charity (solicited funds) will not be necessary for the visa beneficiary's financial support.

EB-4 visas are also available to:

  • Certain overseas employees of the U.S. Government
  • Former employees of the Panama Canal Company
  • Retired employees of international organizations
  • Certain dependents of international organization employees
  • Certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces

Requires a Form I-360 (Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant) approved by the USCIS, except for overseas employees of the U.S. Government, for whom Form DS-1884 is used.

Messing Law Offices provides immigration attorney advice to determine if an applicant meets the requirements for an EB-4 or other immigration employment visa, including assistance with documentary letters to establish qualifications, and advice about visas for accompanying family members, based upon extensive experience as a professional immigration lawyer. Contact Messing Law Offices (520) 512-5432.